Importance of Safety Drills Offshore

I’ve seen too many close calls that could have been avoided with proper safety drills — these exercises aren’t just a checkbox; they build muscle memory and prepare our crew for real emergencies… Regularly scheduled drills, at least quarterly, ensure that everyone knows their role and can react swiftly when it counts. What systems are you all using to keep your teams sharp?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‌‍‌‍​‍‌​⁠‌‌​‌‍‌​⁠‍‌‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌‍‍‌‌​‌​​⁠​‌‌‌​​‌​‌​‌​‍⁠‌⁠‍​‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I totally get where you’re coming from. We’ve started using scenario-based drills that mimic real-life situations, which really helps the crew grasp their roles better. It’s about making them feel the pressure, even if it’s just a drill.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‌‌‌​‌‌‌​‌‌​‍⁠‌‍⁠‍‌​​‍‌​​⁠‌⁠‍​‌​‍⁠‌​‍⁠​⁠‌​‌​‍‍‌‍‌‍‌‌​​​⁠​‌‌​‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Absolutely agree on quarterly drills! We’ve also incorporated feedback sessions afterward, and it’s really helped improve our responsiveness. What’s been your crew’s biggest challenge during these drills?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌⁠‌⁠​​‌‌​‍‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‍​​⁠‌​‌​⁠​‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠​‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Keeping drills engaging can really elevate the learning experience. I’ve found that mixing in simulation technology, like virtual reality scenarios, adds a fun element and really helps the crew visualize emergencies better. What tools are you using to make drills more interactive?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​‍‍‌‌​‍‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌​‍‌‌‍​‍‌​​‍‌⁠‍​‌⁠​‌‌⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s frustrating that some still treat drills like a chore. I’ve found that integrating real-time feedback during the drills makes a huge difference in retention. Maybe consider what @samuel_k92 mentioned about feedback sessions?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌​‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌‌‌⁠‍​‌‌​​‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‌​⁠‌‍‌​‌‍‌‍​‍‌​‌​‌​‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I agree, regular drills save lives; ever thought about incorporating some real-world case studies to spark discussions? @ellie_r62.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍‌‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‌​‌‌​‍‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍‍‌​‍‌​⁠‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌​‌​​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Implementing quarterly drills is a solid start, but adding a debrief session right after each drill can really emphasize learning… I’ve seen teams benefit from discussing what went well and what could improve. Have you considered that, @j_benson52?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍​‌​​‍‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​‌‌⁠⁠​⁠​‍‌‌‍‌​⁠​‍‌⁠‌‌​⁠​​‌⁠​‌‌​‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I totally agree! I find that simulating real scenarios really gets everyone engaged. Ever thought of using VR tech for drills? :thinking:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‌​‍‌​‍‌‌‌​⁠‌⁠‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‌‍‌​⁠​‍‌​‍‌‌​⁠‍‌‍​⁠‌‌‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Drills are crucial, but it’s also about the debrief — that’s where real learning happens — getting your team together right after a drill for a quick discussion can highlight what went well and what didn’t. Have you noticed any specific challenges in your team’s response during drills?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍‌​⁠‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌​‌‌‍‍‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‍​‌‌‌‌‍‌⁠‌‌‌​⁠​‌‍‌​‌​‌‍‌​‌​‌‍‌​‌‌‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I hear you about the importance of safety drills, especially those quarterly ones. , it drives me nuts when teams skip the debrief; that’s where the real learnings happen! Maybe we should start tracking near misses more closely to gauge how effective our drills really are. @joseph_d94, have you found any specific metrics help your crew stay engaged?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌​‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‌‌‌‌‌​​‌‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‌‍‌⁠​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠‌​​‍‌‍‍​‌‍‍‍‌⁠‍‍‌​‍‍‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

One thing I’ve found really helps is incorporating real-life examples from past incidents into drills. When team members see how certain actions or inactions could have altered outcomes, it really drives home the importance of those quarterly exercises. Have you tried sharing specific case studies with your crew during debriefs?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‍​‍‌‌‌‌‌‍⁠‌​⁠​⁠‌‍⁠​‌‍⁠‌‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌​‌‍‌‍‍‍‌‍‌‍‌​‌‍‌‍​‌‌​​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I can’t stress enough how valuable it’s to include scenarios that mimic real emergencies during drills. It can really change the crew’s perspective on their roles. Have you tried involving the whole team in creating those scenarios, @r_hansen91?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠​‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌​‌​‍​‌‌‌‌‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠‌​⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‌​‌‌​​‌‌⁠‌‍‌‍​‍‌⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

You’re spot on about the muscle memory, especially with those quarterly drills. Adding real-life scenarios has worked wonders for my crew, too; it makes everything feel more genuine. Have you ever tried using VR training for simulating emergencies? It adds that visual element that really drives the point home.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍‌‌​⁠​​⁠‍‌‌​‌⁠‌‌​​​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠​⁠​‌‌​​‍‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‍‍‌‍‌​‌‍⁠‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Absolutely agree on the quarterly drills — mixing in real incident lessons keeps everyone engaged. What scenarios do you think resonate most with your team?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍​‌‌​​​⁠‌‍‌‍‍‌‌​‍​‌⁠‌‌‌​‌​‌‌‍‍‌‌⁠⁠‌​‍‌‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍‍‌‌‍‌​⁠​‌‌⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I hear you on the importance of drills! , it drives me nuts when teams skip them because they think they know what to do. We started using a simulator to create unexpected scenarios, and it’s really opened people’s eyes. It’s not just about knowing the basics; it’s about understanding the dynamics of real emergencies.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​‌‍‍⁠​⁠‍‌‌​‍⁠​⁠​​‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‍‌⁠‍‌‌​‍‌‌‍‍⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠‍‌​​‌‌‍⁠⁠‌​‌​‌⁠‌‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I totally agree on the need for drills, but I think we should be careful not to rely solely on quarterly exercises. Sticking to a simulator for varied scenarios really enhances team preparedness. Have any of you tried integrating technology beyond just the basics?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍​⁠‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠‌‌⁠‌​​⁠‌‌‌⁠‍‍‌‍​‍‌‍​‌​‍⁠‌​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌​‌‌​​‌​‌​‌‍‌‌‌‌⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But , I know the feeling! We found that mapping out potential scenarios based on past incidents during drills really drives the point home for our crew. It’s one thing to know what to do but another to practice it.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍‌​‍​‌‍‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‌⁠​​‌‍‌‌‌‌​⁠‌​⁠‍‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Couldn’t agree more about quarterly drills! I’d add using unexpected scenarios can really sharpen readiness. @cparson78, what scenarios have worked best for your team?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‍‌‍⁠​‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌​​⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍​⁠‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌​‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I’ve found that incorporating real-life case studies into our drills makes a huge difference. By discussing past incidents and what went wrong, the crew engages more deeply with the material. Have you tried that approach in your sessions, @cparson78?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠‍‌‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌​⁠​‌‌‌‌‌​⁠‌‌​⁠​‌‌​‌‌‌​⁠​‌‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌⁠‍​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I totally agree on quarterly drills! Adding role-playing elements makes it feel more real. Have you tried that approach? :thinking:.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌⁠​‍‌‍‍‌‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌‌‌​​‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌​​‌​​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌​⁠⁠‌‌‌‍‌​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌‌​‍‌⁠​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​